Thursday, April 2, 2009

April 2, 2009

Hello Again,
It amazes me how fast things are going here and I bet they're going pretty fast out there as well. I am continuing to have a great time here at the MTC and whoever said they didn't like it, I don't know what you were doing. There is just so much to do here and not enough time for it.
Like i said, last week I got a new companion, Elder Sharp. As soon as I sent off my email about 10 minutes later this guy from the administration comes down and tells me elder Sharp is here. I was super excited and couldn't wait to go pick him up at the front desk. I really can't tell you how amazing of a missionary he is. He is amazing! He's been here before, but had to go home for a bit. He's back now and I couldn't have asked for a better companion. I keep telling him that I've prepared my entire life to have a bad companion on my mission, but now I don't have to worry about it. He really fit right in with the district and he continues to amaze me.
On sunday was our halfway mark for the MTC (woohoo). As me and Elder Sharp were sitting in our Leadership Training Meeting, President Curtis asked to interview us. He sat us down and said, "Elders, I want to put you to work, will you accept the calling to be Zone Leaders?" I thought it was a pretty big shock. Near the beginning of the MTC I had had the thought of maybe being zone leader, but after seeing the other zone leaders have zero time ever and having a lot of responsibility I thought to myself back then, "hey, you know what, it's cool to have leadership positions, but this one I wouldn't mind someone else having." Of course, we did accept the calling and we've been at it for a couple of days now. It really does take away your one hour of personal time at night, but it's all good. I think I feel a little like dad when he was a bishop or even now as stake president. You have so many people's problems to worry about, but the Lord really helps you bear it (Matt. 11:28-30..thanks mom!). So that's my little story for the week.

It was interesting with the timing of it all as well. Elder Taylor left wednesday morning, and then Thursday Elder Sharp came in. President Curtis told us in our interview that Elder Taylor probably wasn't ready to hold the position of Zone Leader. He said as he was asked who Elder Sharp's companion should be, he thought of me and knew then that we were going to be the zone leaders. I don't really tell that story to seem prideful or that I deserve the calling, but it was just interesting that the timing of it all really worked out so good. So I was released as district leader and Elder Leishman is now our district leader. He has really stepped up to the plate and is doing incredible. He's really changed his life around from before his mission and now he's really just doing great.

Speaking of Elder Taylor, he actually has been over to Germany for a summer and his dad is a German teacher in high school or something like that. He's off and probably teaching a ton of people over there right now. We haven't heard back from him, but hope to soon.

Thanks everybody for sending me mail this past week. Sometimes the mail is the only thing you look forward to the entire day so it's sometimes really nice to get something. Don't be afraid to send some more in the meantime though. I'm not sure how Dear Elder works. I just know that we get dear elder letters in the mailbox. sorry. They are pretty cool and they get here pretty fast so I don't really care how they get here. either way is fine. thanks though!

Mom and Dad, it's great to here all the blessings are coming because I'm serving. I've really even felt them in my own life right now. It's good to know all the welfare things in the stake and ward are kicking in. It will be interesting to see what the general authorities have to say about all of that. If you need to use any of my money in the back for food storage, I'm all for it like you know ;)

I'm sorry if there's anything else I'm forgetting. sometimes it's hard to remember everything you need to write in the emails and questions people have for me. Just keep asking them and hopefully I'll remember to answer in the future.

Have a great week! I will talk to you next week and remember to have a fun time watching conference (we get to enjoy it on the seats in the auditorium for 10 hours, yes!).

Love Ya,
Elder Joseph Hoehne

No comments:

Post a Comment